In this article we will be looking at a Quick and Easy way to make SQL Server Backups move faster. Backing up your database helps you to recover your data in the event of a catastrophic disaster. There are various ways of backing up your SQL Server database, but in this article, we will be focusing on a method that I use that will help to make your backups move faster. Below are steps taken to backup databases via the command line and there is also a gif below demonstrating this.
- Open your management studio and identify the database you want to backup.
- Right-click the database and got to: Tasks >Back up…
- Enter the appropriate parameters/configurations
- At the top of the window select the arrow beside the script button and select Script Action to Clipboard (Ctrl+Shift+C)
- Go to your start menu and open command Line tool (CMD)
- Once in the command-line tool, type sqlcmd to access the database
- Right-click and paste the copied command onto the command line.
- The backup will start running immediately after pasting the command on the command line (Ensure there is a GO command after the backup script.